Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy, Happy

Thanksgiving to you and yours! A time to give thanks and to remember how grateful we are for family, friends and the life that we live. Here in Arizona there has been a chill in the air, especially in the mornings, which is a nice change of pace.
Tomorrow the Christmas decor will be brought out, Jon is prepared and ready to do his part (he is such a good man), who knows how I love decorating and how I want the house to look amazing. We are looking forward to Shelby being home and the phrase "Merry & Bright" has been ringing in my head. I think this might be what the chalkboard niche will convey.


Man, I'm getting ahead of myself. With a chill in the air I made the first banana bread of the season and it tastes so good. I can pass up Jon's 10:30pm ice cream bowl every night of the year but banana bread is my weakness. So super yummy. I wish I could share it with all of you and maybe with some coffee, tea or hot chocolate!

I wanted to share some layouts I created about special moments and stories in our family. Thankful that Shelby has a partner in crime, a boyfriend that cares for her and inspires her at the same college.
Thankful that they are able to share college life and experiences together.


This was their Senior Prom. The last dance they would go to together. They had been to quite a few
dances throughout their high school career but always as just friends until this last year, when feelings grew from their four year friendship. 

For this layout I put my Silhouette Cameo to the test, creating a layered die cut piece. Here is a little tutorial I put together for Scrapbook.com. 
I used a doily cut file from my Silhouette Cameo library. I re-sized it so it would fit a 12" x 12" background sheet of paper side to side and then cut it out of the ivory cardstock. 


Once it was cut, I grabbed a Teresa Collins woodgrain patterned paper as well as brown cardstock and went to work.


I wanted to create a multi layered doily die cut piece as the focal point of the layout. So I started by backing it with the woodgrain paper and then put it on top of the brown cardstock sheet I used as my background.


Next, I decided to use three photos and I wanted to create some sort of collage which would require another layer within the doily center. Looking through my Silhouette library I came across a pie chart cut file and knew this was what I needed.


I took the inside measurement of the doily and sized the pie chart accordingly (making it slightly larger).


Looking at the file, I realized I needed to add a circle around the outside of the pie chart to create a "home" or frame for the photos, so I used the Arc tool to draw the outer circle and cut it out.


I played around with the arrangement of the pie chart in the center of the doily, figuring out the placement and how it would affect the photos. 


I had three photos and looking at the pie chart I wanted those photos to be placed in the biggest sections of the chart.


After the photos were cut down, sized and placed, it left me with one small section for embellishments. I started with backing that section with patterned paper to give the layout some color. 


I grabbed the chipboard stickers and chose one I liked, then cut it down at an angle so it would fit perfectly inside the pie chart. Then I gathered some of the other embellishments, trying to decide which ones I wanted to use, moving them around until I was happy. Then the fun layering part began! A combination of flowers (chipboard and paper), leaf stickers, cork, buttons and rhinestones, is what I ended up with.


After placing the embellishments, I had to figure out where to put my journaling, because for me, it's about the story as much as it is about the photos. Originally I had planned on having more journaling than I ended up with and that's ok. I included the most important parts and by using the chipboard journaling sticker I was able to include my handwriting which is also a bonus. Family members will love that you included your handwriting and I try to do that as often as possible. Maybe that becomes a 2015 scrapbooking goal of mine. More journaling in my handwriting.

Here are a couple of more layouts that celebrate the season of giving thanks!


Daddy, Mommy and Daughter dates are the best, especially when you add dinner and a movie into the mix!


Thankful that Shelby has the most amazing best friends that traveled over 1,000 miles to surprise her at college and they remembered to take photos! They have been trained well....;)
Hope your weekend is surrounded by loving family and friends!
xoxoxo




1 comment:

Thu Trang said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.