Thursday, October 30, 2014

Halloween

is tomorrow and it seems like this Halloween came up fast. I have been wanting to share how the house looks since everything has been decorated since mid September. This year has been different with Shelby away at college.
There is a funny/emotional story this year from the pumpkin patch that had me in tears last week. We had taken Ellie to pick out a pumpkin with Jon's parents and standing among all the teeny tiny pumpkins was this sweet, curly blonde blue eyed girl. Her hair was in a bun with ringlets and the whole nine yards. I'm standing, staring at her and thinking "wow, she looks exactly the way Shelby did at her age." All of the sudden I hear her mom say "Shelby!" and that was it, instant tears streaming down my face and a deep longing to hug our girl.
Needless to say it hit me like a MAC truck and the next time I spoke to Shelby she could sense I was missing her and of course I had to tell her the story.
Ok, sorry back to Halloween decor.


This is a long wall in our family room that has been bare since we moved in. Jon promised when we moved in something would be here within the first year. He just wanted that wall and here we are over 2 years later and nothing, so the wall after the holidays is going to be mine (at least that's what I tell him with a loving, yet firm voice), lol.


It is amazing how expensive die cut cardstock shapes can be, especially from known names like Martha Stewart and they are all the same size in the package. So, I decided to cut these with my Silhouette Cameo and I started with a small size and worked my way up from there. All I used was black cardstock and 3D foam squares. It was fun and inexpensive.


On Pinterest I came across a variation of brooms on a chalkboard wall, so I put my spin on it and this is how it turned out. Shelby came up with the name and Ellie donated her skeleton bones school paperwork to the typewriter. It was great timing that she was studying and had to know the major bones of the human body for her science class. 


This was a little hard to put into perspective with a photo. These sticks are right underneath the fan. We had to cut them down because it is still so hot here in Arizona during October and the fan has to be running. Jon put the birds in the branches. 


The area above the entertainment center is also a little difficult to photograph. It's full of potion and poison bottles. Rats, skeletons, old books and cameras, spiders, you know all of the essentials.


You can't go wrong with skeletons and crates. Those are all of the main areas around the house. There are a few more little vignettes. 
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you and your family have a safe and fun filled Halloween!
xoxo





4 comments:

luv46kdz said...

Love it!

Paula

Dedra Long said...

Thanks so much Paula. Hope you have a great Halloween! xoxo

Ashley said...

Looks so great! I always love how you decorate that alcove! My husband and I are always gathering ideas for our next home, which we will build, and I told him I want an alcove like that because there are so many possibilities! Thanks for the inspiration!

Dedra Long said...

Yes Ashley, put the alcove on your must have list. You won't regret it!
Happy Holidays to you and your family!
:)