Friday, September 12, 2014

through the viewfinder

When I came across this awesome viewfinder die cut in the Silhouette store I was drawn to it and had to have it. I remember actually having a viewfinder growing up and maybe that's what drew me to it and the fact I could make my own viewfinder of sorts.
Now the great thing about die cutting with the Cameo is you can make your die cuts as small and as big as you like. Sometimes though, it gives me too many possibilities, lol.
With this, I wanted to go big (go big or go home, ask any of my friends and they will tell you I say this quite often, being from Texas and all). I wanted to almost completely fill the 12 x 12 paper.


I used some of the photos we took driving Shelby up to college and getting her moved into her dorm room. We were able to see old friends and be there for Shelby with whatever she needed. While attending the parent orientation as the health staff at her school went through the needs of out of state incoming Freshman it hit me. They started talking about getting all of the medications, health related things that we normally give our children at home and stocking them up before we left.
This was something I thought about but it really hit home after hearing the health statistics on college students. So, we went to the store and I started thinking about how awful it is to be sick and not have anyone there to really take care of you. I have to say Jon looked at me a little crazy but hey, I'm a mom and that's what we do, we take care of our kids. Did I go a little overboard, making sure she had everything, maybe a tinsy bit. BUT again, that's what we do, make sure the ones we love are well taken care of when we can't take care of them ourselves.
Wow, sorry about that. Got a little off track.

So, the center of the viewfinder was a little plain to me and I wanted to fill it with a bigger photo. So after the original cut was complete I left the mat loaded in to the Cameo and I used the angle tool to cut the large circle out of the center.
Measuring each opening in the viewfinder I printed the photos and attached them under each one.
Finishing the layout with stamps, stickers, gold foil chipboard and some journaling.

Hope you guys have a great weekend!
Thanks for stopping by.
xoxoxo

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi Dedra! My name is Heather and I was just wondering if you could answer my quick question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

Dedra Long said...

Hi Heather! Check your inbox, I sent you an e.mail.
xoxo