Saturday, June 25, 2011

The 'Steampunk' Effect.

Channeling my inner Tim Holtz with an old plaque and foil tape has never been more freeing. Since first seeing the 'Steampunk' style I have been intrigued yet, I will admit, a little intimidated. This style seemed so complicated to me and honestly I did not know where to begin. Creating this little piece of art was surprisingly easier than I could have ever imagined.
I think the hardest part was choosing a theme, or "focal point" for the piece. Once that was figured out, it took less than two hours to complete. My theme was the number 4, my favorite. I chose four hearts and inside each heart I decided to create little layers that represented each member of our family.
Jon's heart (upper left hand corner) has a 7 gypsies metal gear and a Tim Holtz metal hitch fastener.
My heart, next to Jon's (upper right hand corner) has a Prima flower with the gray pearl inside. Anyone who knows me knows I wear a ton of black and gray. Shelby's heart (bottom left hand corner under Jon) has a layered metal flower, which includes Tim Holtz metal foliage and Prima metal flowers. Ellie's heart (bottom right hand corner under my heart) also has a layered metal flower, which includes Tim Holtz foliage and Prima metal flowers. I added a cluster of Prima metal flowers to the bottom right hand corner and on the far left side of the plaque. Other materials used were Tim Holtz grungeboard and Tim Seconds Studio tools.
Ever since this project I have been brainstorming ways to use the techniques outside of plaques. So, I'll have to see where that list of ideas leads me.




My creative list is growing long, which is good. Thanks for stopping by!

loves.
d.

2 comments:

luv46kdz said...

This is beautiful. I love steampunk. Prima has some gorgeous stuff. Their warehouse is having a sale on the 8th and I'll be going to scout out some goodies :)

Paula

Eileen said...

This is beautiful! I can't imagine this coming from someone who was "intimidated" by steampunk. Looking forward to seeing more!