Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Travel Altered Book Part One and September....

is slipping away, October and the beginning of the Holiday Season is right around the corner. Gone are the carefree days of Summer. I can't believe Homecoming is this weekend. Shelby's dress, shoes (super cute flip flops, we can pretty much wear them year round here in Arizona), hair style and all accessories have been chosen and are in place. Thanks to my Mom and Mimi.
I'm thrilled with the simple, elegant dress that Shelby ended up choosing. Her date is sweet and thoughtful.
The Homecoming football game is on Friday and I have to say I'm vicariously living through Shelby. Seeing her cheer makes my heart happy and the fact I love Football is icing on the cake. If you asked Jon he would tell you that the song from "Explosions in the Sky" which starts off the show Friday Night Lights on NBC brings tears to my eyes. Oh, and the song "Boys of Fall" by Kenny Chesney is fabulous.
I don't know if you have seen the video for this song, if not you can see it here, but the beginning and ending "pep talks" by the coaches in the locker rooms are inspiring. The living in the moment right now vs. your future.

I remember growing up in Texas and wearing the Homecoming "Mums". They were massive and my Mom and I were just trying to explain them to Shelby last weekend. I don't know what happened to mine. But in Texas Football is big, especially in High School. There are so many things I miss about Texas, little cities that we would drive through to get to my Nannie's house in Gun Barrel City. So, I think my love of Football, among other things, comes from being a Texan.

Wow, I didn't expect to go on quite that long. I guess that is why journaling is so important. A specific thought, photograph, experience, etc. can invoke so many emotions and/or memories. I need to be better about getting mine on paper. I think I might have a plan for that, but I'm going to wait until after the Holidays there are other projects on the "to do" list.

Back to my original thoughts of Summer being over. Here is part one of an altered book I put together to document our trip to Sanger California to see Jon's parents. Just this morning on the way to school Ellie said: "Mom, when I grow up I want to live in Grandma and Grandpa's house, it's so nice there. I love it." "I always want to be close to you and Daddy and Grandma and Grandpa."




I'll share a little of my thought process when choosing whether I want to just re-cover and altered book (keeping the book completely in tact) or when I want to use the book in pieces. For me, it depends on how many memories, photos, stories, etc, I need to document.
In this particular case, this was a short trip. Four days and a good portion was the driving, which can also be apart of the story. With a short trip I usually tend to use the old book in pieces. I cut away the front and back covers from the spine. I still use the inside pages but not all of them. I will use the left over pages for creating embellishments, as background paper, in shadow boxes or I will use them in another book.
I even have an idea for the left over spine of the book.
My binding of choice is the metal binding rings. They are forgiving when it comes down to how many pages you are adding to your book.





When I go on a trip I take a large Ziploc bag and I collect memorabilia as I go. On our next trip I might try a different approach. When creating a travel book, I love adding different maps, tags, anything I've collected throughout the book, it's more intimate to me and tells a complete story. Use a map of the spot you traveled to and create a page out of it or create embellishments (on the front cover of this book). Create pockets for not only journaling but for menus or ticket stubs or add menus, ticket stubs, stickers, etc. directly into the binding. There are so many possibilities. So have fun lovlies!

Wishing you a wonderful day!
Loves. 
D.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

The mini vacation book is fabulous! I'd love to see the rest of it! Great job as always.

Karey said...

The moms bought those homecoming mums for themselves when I was in high school too. I lived in central IL and went to a small school. The intials were A/O and that was in the corsage with blue and orange pipe cleaners. Thanks for the memory.

Suz said...

This is a fantastic mini book. I am so inspired by your blog every time I visit. Not just for scrapbooking but in life. You are so amazing.