Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Year of Mornings....

is the book that has inspired me. Most ladies who scrapbook have heard of project 365, where you take a photo everyday for an entire year. While this is something I have wanted to do but seemed too much and very overwhelming, I feel I was meant to stumble across this book. Here is a little background about it: 

A Year of Mornings by Maria Vettese: Book Cover

"A Year of Mornings" collects 236 images....these are vignettes of simple everyday things: a cup of coffee, soft-boiled eggs, rain boots kicked off at the front door, the stem of a flower, many crumpled napkins, many spoons. The photos and book capture the rhythms of everyday life, often surprising the viewer by the sheer beauty of the most quotidian element. That each woman paused to record the curve of a daughter’s ear, a bowl of cereal or a shadow cast across the floor before sitting down in front of a computer is an act that carries with it the most clich├ęd, yet essential, of all messages: stop and smell the roses (and the coffee, the toast, the morning air). We’re living in difficult times, and it seems it’s exactly these tiny details and fleeting moments that can offer us the most solace and even joy. 

Looking at the images in this book, I really wanted to do something like this. but.....I knew with my schedule I would not be able to capture a photo every morning. 
So, my answer is this - to take a photo every Saturday and Sunday, then post them here. A way to document, in photos, the two days where we can be together as a family the most. 
Maybe I will even come up with a name for this project....LOL!

I would LOVE for you to join me. I want to start next Saturday June 26th and continue every weekend for a year. If you decide to follow along please let me know, link me up to your blog. I want to create a space on my blog to list yours.

I'll be back on Monday to start releasing the "journaling questions" I have complied from a altered book class I taught several years ago. 

Wishing you and your husband's a wonderful Father's Day and a fabulous Sunday!
Loves
D.


9 comments:

lisakisch said...

I love this, too! When I saw it on Write.Click.Scrapbook last week I was inspired to give it a try. My good friend (who lives in Turkey) and I are doing every morning for 30 days. A year is too long for us, too. :) I'm posting them to my blog. Good luck with yours!

Nancy said...

Dedra - I love this idea! I have such a hard time finding time for me every day that this will at least make me slow down a little on what should be my family time and "smell the roses". Thank you for thinking of this and I will definitely be joining you on this journey!

luv46kdz said...

Now this is something I think I can handle. I;ve contemplated the pic a day, but it just seemed too daunting for me. The wkend is much easier a spoon to swallow. I will join in as well : )

The new blog design looks fresh and invigorating I love it!

Paula
Mia Sogni Dolci

Sheri (Aunt Re Re) said...

First of all, I love the new blog! Very nice. I'm really excited about this project! I love capturing everyday things that normally are so easily overlooked. I definitely want to go on the journey with you! I just hope I can keep up! I bombed at Project 365! LOL.

Mariangeles M said...

Love the new look of the blog!! and I also love to have you back in the blogsphere :)

It's a great idea but I have too many "projects in progress" to start one like this; I work on shifts, so it'd be difficult for me.

Have fun!

I'll be around...

Lisa said...

Oh this is perfect for me! I've loved the thught of a picture a day..but I'm also afraid it'd be too much for me at this time. Now this sounds wonderful and count me in! Thank you for thinking of this and allowing us to be a part of it!

Love the new look!

Kelsey and Tyler said...

I'm gonna do this with you D! Let's keep each other honest :) LOL!

I'll tell you Monday what I photo'd on Saturday and Sunday... I need this - I don't take nearly enough pictures, especially of the everyday... xo

Sheri (Aunt Re Re) said...

Hey Dedra, we need a little blinkie for our blogs so that others can check it out and hop on with us! Just an idea!

Amber Boren said...

Oh Dedra! I love this idea. This is something that would well with my schedule. I feel up to the challenge.
Thank you for the inspiration.
xxoo Amber