Thursday, September 10, 2009

Copies needed....



of these photos. I think one of the things I love about old photos is the edging, not to mention the past generations of family. I never really knew my grandfather, but on the back of some of these photos is little notes he wrote to my grandmother while he was away at war.



I wish I could have known him better. I was probably six or seven and I remember his farm in Anna, Texas.
He had a trampoline. I vaguely recall jumping on that trampoline and being able to jump so high that I could reach the branches that hung over it.
I also remember his pond and him telling me stories of the snapping turtles that were in it.
The only other thing that comes to mind is chasing and being chased by peacocks!
They are quick little suckers! Their tail feathers are stunningly beautiful when they fan out.

So, many family stories lost. On the bright side I'm the one that the family photos have gone to.
So, I'll take that any day!

Please, if you have older generations of your family still with you. Write down questions. Interview them.
Or as a gift, create a notebook and journal jar for them, so they can answer the questions on their own time.
I gave one of these to my Mother-in-Law and my Mom.
Great Christmas gifts, birthday gifts or "just because".

Loves.
D.

2 comments:

Kim Strother said...

Oh Dedra I am so jealous! I didn't know either of my grandfathers. They both passed before I was born. I was close with one grandmother (the other one lived out of the country). I do have some cards written by my grandmother and a few (maybe 5) old photos of her. I would do anything to be handed a stack of photos like this. No amount of money could be put on the price of this. I don't know why, but not my parents, nor grandparents took many photos. I think I only have 4 photos of me before school age. It's really very sad and one of the biggest reasons I scrapbook. I can't wait to see the layouts you make!

Sheri (Aunt Re Re) said...

What a treasure to receive those photos! I love old photos of our families history. I have a box from our family that I ended up with and I love going through them. I want to get them all in books...it's a work in progress. I love the memories that you shared of your grandfather and your time with him. Those are precious. Thanks for reminding me just how important those stories are!