Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Project One: Summer Boredom....

is setting in around our house. The girls have been out of school for over a month (hard to believe really). Living in Arizona it seems school lets out earlier for Summer (at least as I remember from my childhood).

Yes. Our girls are busy with vacations, friends and Summer programs but they also have ALOT of free time. Let's just say the Summer here can be "scorching HOT" so trying to figure out some "inside" activites falls on my short list of things to do.

One of the other challenges I have are the ages of my girls. Shelby being 13 and Ellie is 6. The funny thing is I can routinely find Ellie in my studio scrapbooking away. With the activites I had planned I was curious to see not only how much fun they would have but which of the activites would hold thier attention longest.
So, I cleared off the table an prepared for the "creating ciaos" I was sure would happen.

Two of the three kits Ellie could do and the third was just for Shelby.
Then inviting friends over to join in the fun.
I had the first kit on the table and the girls got started Friday morning.

We started with the Adhesive Rub On Kit by We R Memory Keepers.
The kit includes adhesive words, phrases, flowers, swirls etc. in the following categories: Family, Swirls and Flourishes, Love, Thank you and Alphabet.
It also includes various colors of glitter, foil and flocking sheets. Let me say the flock is so fuzzy! Love it.
The glitter is to die for and the foil is just fabulous!
At first this kit looked kind of complicated but it turned out to be quite fabulous!
AND Mess Free! I did not have to worry about glitter and flock getting everywhere. Also, it was easy enough for Ellie to play with. The selling point for me is this kit was only $11.99! (My kind of kit!)



I pulled out "naked" things they could embellish.
Notebooks, Flower Shapes, Cards and Tote Bags.
I read the instructions to the girls and the secret to this kit (at least for them) was letting them know that once they choose an adhesive image they love, they need to cut the image out of the sheet. Take the plastic backing off and place it on thier project. Then just rub it on.
After the explanation Shelby and Katie put together a plan of action: they put the glitter, foil and flock sheets into color categories.
I helped Ellie do the same thing with hers.
The girls started with the notebooks and then moved onto the flowers.
They worked ALL day Friday and when late afternoon rolled around they could not believe how quickly the time had gone by.
(It was hard for ME to believe that Ellie had sat in the same spot most of the day and did not want to stop for the night.)










(Excessive fun can cause faces and expressions like this one! LOL!)

The girls loved this kit SO much that Shelby's friend, Katie ended up staying the night at our house so they could get up and keep going with their creations in the morning.
When morning came they were working on the last of the flowers when Jon joined in the fun. Now, Jon is a manly man. Motorcycle riding, tool wheeling man. When I saw him sit down with the girls it put a BIG smile on my face. He was having the best time working with flock none the less and the rub on tool!



Once the flowers were complete the girls were excited to start embellishing their totes. The totes were canvas and I wasn't sure the adhesive and/or the glitter, flocking or foil would work.
The flock did OK but the glitter turned out awesome!





After creating the notebooks, cards, flowers and totes we still had a ton of product left. This kit is really jammed packed.
As the girls were organizing their adhesive, glitter, flock and foil sheet leftovers, they informed me they would be keeping every scrap they did not use.
Right before school starts back up they want to decorate their school binders with the rest of this kit. So, more Summer boredom will be busted! LOL!!

Here are the photos of the finished projects....(not to happy with these so I will probably be replacing them this weekend!) LOL!

Canvas Totes:




Notebooks:






Flowers:
(Your children can make cute little arrangements for their rooms OR you could use them as flower picks to put outside in your beautiful potted plants).




(The flocked flower Jon made for me.) AAaaaawwww! LOL!

Cards:


Let me warn you ahead of time, it was VERY hard not to use these for any of my projects and I might still steal some to use!
The most important thing for me was sitting back and letting the girls have fun!

So, I would love to hear what you fabulous ladies are doing with your children this Summer. If you are doing little projects with them too, give me a link I would love to check it out and leave you some love!
I will be back with installment number two.

Hugs!
D.

7 comments:

Kathy Floen said...

I have missed you girl! :) I have been doing a lot of projects with me. It is hard having a 10 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. I think Jon (my son) would die if I made or even asked him to do something with scrapping. :) So would my hubby, although I just love Jon's flower! :) What a man! :)

We are just starting to get warm here in MT and we maybe have 1 or 2days of 100+ degree weather. So, we all can pretty much be outside all the time. :) I am really telling you...you need to come up here with me (although I would love to be in AZ!)

Suz said...

Wow they are really in a creative frenzy making some great stuff. Jon made me smile a real Renaissance man (dad who will do anything for those two girls who have him wrapped around their fingers).

It's been really hot her pushing 100 and very humid. It's staying in the mid 80's at midnight. AC running non stop. we don't usually get this hot until next month. We need some rain.

I don't have any little ones to entertain anymore... hubby & I have went out on weekend camping trips in the motor home (only camping that I will do lol) & rode the harley's a bit (got so sunburned)

Tiffany said...

Oh Dedra, How fun. Now you make me want to do that too. I might have to order from scrabook.com and come and pick up my order. I love the bags and the notebooks. And I love the flowers. Thanks for your great ideas. Right now my daughter and I are scrapbooking an autograph album I had her take with her to school on the last day and a disposable camera, the pics are not that great but she had fun and this is a project that is all her and she is enjoying it and that's what counts right?

Kim Strother said...

Hi Dedra- I have no summer activities for you, but I do have a compliment: what a great mom you are. I could not share a kit like that. I would want it all for myself. I love that you worry about the activities for the girls. Me- I just send mine to summer camp and on the weekends they get to swim!! Ok, maybe a movie here and there too. LOL!
xoxo-Kim

Kim Strother said...

Hi Dedra- I have no summer activities for you, but I do have a compliment: what a great mom you are. I could not share a kit like that. I would want it all for myself. I love that you worry about the activities for the girls. Me- I just send mine to summer camp and on the weekends they get to swim!! Ok, maybe a movie here and there too. LOL!
xoxo-Kim

Scrappinraiderfan said...

Awesome blog! Great photos of your girls and their dad too. So cool to see him helping them. Great projects that you did.

Eileen said...

That project worked out well, didn't it? I love that flower Jon made for you (big ditto on the "awwww"!)