Friday, May 15, 2009

School is out....

for the Summer starting mid next week and that means we have to get those quick and easy Graduation and Teacher appreciation gifts ready to go....

I wanted to give Ellie's teacher something she could really use and I found myself thinking "What do Teacher's REALLY love and need"....That lead to "I'm going to Google Teacher appreciation gifts"....
WOW....
I read and read and bounced from site to site and read some more....
(I could get lost for days on the internet but I'll leave that
story for another day)...

From all of the reading I did I got the impression that Teacher's REALLY love receiving gifts cards and it could just be a $5 gift card to Starbucks!
Now, I'm just going by what I found. There was one teacher that said she even liked getting gift cards to learning stores. She uses them to get supplies for her class room....

With this in mind I created some cards that would hold gift certificates....

For this one I cut a piece of patterned paper and stitched it onto cardstock to create a pocket that you can place the gift certificate and a little note to the Teacher inside....

Supplies: American Crafts, Patterned Paper, Chipboard, Circle Punch

Using the same patterned paper I cut another piece and stapled it to the inside of the card to create the pocket.



When someone graduates I NEVER know what to get them....
I usually end up getting them a gift certificate as well....
This card is another one where I cut a piece of paper and instead of stapling it I stitched it to the inside of the card to hold the gift certificate....

Supplies: Mask, Alcohol Ink, Stickers, Scallop Punch

I have often thought about when my girls graduate....The thing I want to do is make them a quote book....
To find what I like to call "life quotes"....
The book below is the first installment of those "life quote" books....
Creating this book made me want to do a "series" of them for my girls....

This book is a little more on the "simple" side....It has a repeating design throughout each chipboard page.
On each page I stamped flourishes with Staz.On Ink. I printed the quotes on cardstock, cut them into strips and
stitched them to the tags....Last I attached the tags to the pages....

















Supplies: Mini book and carrying case, Flourish Stamp, Tags, Chipboard Buttons, Remember this stamp, Buttons, Jewels

Happy school scrapping!!!!

Onto a few questions:

Kathy Floen said...
WOW! DEDRA! You are so kick butt! I LOVED your projects! Gorgeous! :) I have been meaning to ask you where you get those BIG jewels you put on your books? I would love to get some. I have seen the jewels at Micheal's that don't have a hole in them to make them a charm, but I could hot glue them on a book. :) Hmmm.... I did scrap on NSD. I had so much fun...


Thanks Kathy!!!! Hopefully these are the ones your talking about....The Heidi Swapp Chandelier crystals. The gigantic ones I used on the books I designed for Teresa Collins' booth are actually from Hobby Lobby. I got them around Thanksgiving, they were Christmas Ornaments....I can get REALLY crazy with possibilities during the holiday season for minibook covers...LOL!!!!
Love your blog by the way!
Hugs!

Kim Strother said...
Dedra I l love the journal you are giving you MIL. Who and where is that from?? And tell us more about the pages inside too!! Can't wait to see the video!


Hey there Kim! To be honest when I opened the packaging and looked at the pages inside I was REALLY surprised. This the Memory Binder by Heidi Swapp. It includes 8 pre-printed classic pages, 3 chipboard tabbed dividers, 3 pocket pages, 3 sheet protectors, 3 blank pages and a fold out page....
I will have to photograph and post them.
Hugs Kim!

Tiffany said...
Dedra,
You are amazing!!! Seriously, I wish I lived next door to you so I could copy everything you do. You are so inspirational to me. You have no idea!!!


Come on over Tiffany....You don't live TOO far away! LOL!!!!

Eileen said...
and why all the flowers? Is it your birthday? Should we be celebrating?!!!!!


Tere said...
Hi Dedra!!

Is today your birthday??!
Those flowers are gorgeous,, whatever the reason is, Congrats!!!!!


Good guess Eileen and Tere but nope my birthday isn't until September.... Jon, the girls and my Mom gave me flowers for Mother's Day and My Mother In Law Diana LOVED her gifts SO much she sent me flowers!!!!

Thanks for hanging in there I know this was a long post....
I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL weekend!!!!
Hugs....
D.

4 comments:

Kathy Floen said...

Dedra! Thanks so much for telling me where you got the jewels! Although, my hubby may not be so thankful! (wink, wink) I didn't realize they came in COLORS! ;)

Also...I am gonna do your idea for Jon's teacher this year! LOVE IT! :) Thanks so much for your ideas and your friendship. :)

Tiffany said...

OH DEDRA!!!!! I seriously have been waiting to see what you are doing for teacher gifts before I did mine. I'm so copying you. I hope you don't care. And my littlest sister is graduating this year so I'm copying you there too. Thanks for your inspiration!!! Again you ROCK!!!!

Suz said...

Wow Dedra you pulled out all the stops making such wonderful gifts for those special teachers. I love how you stayed true to your style & gave some ideas that aren't the "cutesy" ones that are so often found. Thanks so much for the inspiration

Lisa T. Howard said...

Hi Dedra! Love all your ideas for gifts! I saw your last project on Jamie Harper's blog (???) the other day. It is absolutely awesome! I love all your inspiration! You are one talented lady! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello.