Wednesday, March 11, 2009

St. Patrick's Day....

some St. Patrick's Day home decor I have been working on....
So, with St. Patrick's Day right around the corner I decided some handmade holiday decor was the ticket....and the great thing about how it turned out is the design can easily be re.created by anyone....and save you some cash by not having to run out and buy decorations at the store....

My idea was to create a table centerpiece, a table runner and placemats out of St. Patrick's Day paper and embellishments....
The first thing to tackle was the table runner....I used 12 x 12 Bazzill Classic white cardstock as the base, then cut various patterned papers to 10 x 10 and mounted them onto the white cardstock base....



I used a hole punch, eyelets and jump rings to connect the 12 x 12 sheets....The great thing about having jump rings is for storage purposes....Once your done this year you can fold up your table runner, place mats and ornaments then put them in a plastic 12 x 12 clear case (like Cropper Hopper) and store the decorations for next year....



I created an accent for each sheet of the table runner....I used a scallop punch and white cardstock to create the base, I used the green monocromatic Bazzill Swiss Dot cardstock to create the Shamrock....To create the shamrock I punched 3 or 4 hearts and pieced them together for the stem I used green floral wire....For the center of the shamrocks I used various brads....
For a finishing touch I used the Heidi Swapp Kiwi Chandiler Crystals on each end of the table runner....(I'll have to take a picture of that and post it later)....



I created then same accents for the placemats....The secret to the placemats was making them using the same color of solid cardstock....With the table runner being busy with patterned paper using a solid cardstock for the placemats "grounded" the design for me....For the placemats I did sew the Swiss Dot cardstock onto the white 12 x 12 base but if you did not want to actually sew you can still get the same effect by using the stitch rub.ons instead....



Next, was the centerpiece I tasked Jon with finding some "sticks" just outside, instead of going and buying them....I took the sticks and made a "tree" using a vase and river rock....



Then I created ornaments using various stickers, jumbo Brads, buttons, the Chandlier crystals, ribbon etc....I layered them using foam squares and then using the eyelets and jump rings I added the hanging crystals....







All of the products I used to create the decorations are from Scrapbook.com
You can also find the video of my project here. A special thanks to Jessica and Merrick who did the video....To find holiday themed products go to search and type in St. Patrick's Day and then you can choose your favorite products....
So, if you haven't already please visit I promise you will love it there....

Hopefully I have somewhat made sense....LOL!!!! If not please leave a comment and I will give you the low down.... ;-)

Hugs....
D.

5 comments:

Noell-Hyman said...

Wow, I'm so impressed, Dedra! I love what you did and how functional it is! It looks great. So inspiring.

Aiden's birthday party is just a few days after St. Patrick's Day and since it's one of his favorite holidays and green is his favorite color, we're going with a green theme and I plan to buy some St. Patrick's stuff on clearance. You've given me a bit of inspiration! Thank you!

I'm going to tweet a link to your post on twitter a little later today. =)

--Noell

lauren said...

Intriguing...

Lesley said...

i love it Dedra. im irish and i dont even go all out like this! lol
keep up the great work!

lez

www.hungryheffycrafts.com

Tiffany said...

wow you are amazing!!! It all looks so great. I espcially love your ornaments!!!

Suz said...

Wow that looks great & so creative! You're so creative & thanks for the inspiration