Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Remembering....

my best friend during high school....That was the memory I wanted and have been trying to find a way to document for awhile now....This week's catalyst over at Creative Therapy was the turning point for me....

Simply, I miss her....who she was, who she could have been and how our lives would have been influenced by each other all of these years....
This catalyst really hit home for me….Brantley was tragically killed in an accident right before graduation….I have kept some of the notes she had written to me right before her death….

The journaling talks about our friendship….To be honest creating this layout brought many emotions, some happy and some very sad….I have not created any piece of art for Brantley and it felt good to document what she meant to me….

I wanted to create a layout that had a place for her notes and that I could untie to read them anytime I wanted too….So, the ribbons untie and I’m able to take the notes directly out of the layout….

The journaling reads:
We passed notes in the hall between classes…. We talked about everything from boyfriends to what we wanted to do in our lives….We lifted each other up….When we were not at school or with family we were hanging out….You started every note and yearbook entry with “Hey Woman!”….We were the best of friends….We talked about going to the same college, our plan was to be life-long best friends….I will never forget that night in May….You were days from graduation and I was staying over at your house….the accident happened….I wish you would have come with me instead….A piece of me died with you that night….My best friend gone in an instant….I often wonder about the amazing woman you would have become….I will always cherish your notes! - 3.2009





Supplies: Pink Paislee, Bazzill, Upper Crest Punch, Letter Stickers, Instant Setter, Eyelets, Ribbon, Buttons, Ali Edwards Stamps, Flowers

Thank you for all of the wonderful comments you ladies leave me....I do read them everyday....I will be going through all of the recent comments and responding to any and all....Even the funny ones about my sewing machine....You know who you are! LOL!! So, I will be doing that on Thursday as well as giving a sneak peek of the Easter projects I finished this weekend....
Think....glitter, glimmer mist, masks and alcohol inks....

Hugs....
D.

6 comments:

Noell-Hyman said...

Girl, maybe you can give a warning next time you're going to make me tear up while I'm sitting here with my family.

I love the beautiful red ribbon on this layout with those flowers. I'm so sorry about what happened to your best friend...and to you.

Hugs,

--Noell
Paperclipping

Eileen said...

You are SO in my heart Ms. Long. I've recently been in touch with my best friend from high school. Remembering those days, and how our lives were intertwined, completely overwhelms me. I don't know that I could have dealt with losing her, and I wish that you didn't have to either.

xxo

Lesley said...

Hello Dedra.
what a powerful LO, i really admire that you scrap right from the heart, it is incredibly touching. i had a similar experience when i was at school and it leaves deep scars etched with grief. thanks for sharing. x

Jennifer said...

Oh Dedra, I'm so sorry for your loss. I understand the "what would you be like now" feelings. I am sending this to my best friend; I want to pay-it-forward, the love the friendship I have for my dearests. Beautiful layout too...I hate to be technical with such a sentimental layout, but what flowers did you use? DId you alter them at all? They are AMAZING. HUGS to you on a tough day. --Jennibug

Suz said...

What an amazing heartfelt layout Dedra. It's so moving. I can't imagine how hard it was for you to go thur that & even now to scrap it. Those are the kind of layouts that have tear stains while creating.

I'm so sorry what happened to your friend. You can see from your writing that she's still with you in your heart.

Hugs,
Suz

ScrapHappy said...

Not only is this a gorgeous layout, it's perfectly suited for the topic. I unfortunately have many of these "remembering" layouts to do, and your example gives me hope I can do so in a fitting, beautiful way. Thank you for sharing, and I am so sorry about your friend.