Monday, March 09, 2009

Oh Boy....

were did the weekend go? Is it really already Monday night?
In reading blogs and message boards I have noticed alot of interest in sewing on layouts and projects....
Let me start by saying that until about 6 months ago I had NEVER touched a sewing machine in my entire life....The thought of making a quilt or clothing for my children TERRIFIES me....
BUT I have found the newest technique I'm LOVING right now is sewing....
Jon bought my sewing machine about a year ago and for the first 6 months I just looked at it fondly, thinking: "man that thing scares me!"
Those thoughts of dread and not knowing how to begin paralyzed me....So, after torturing myself for awhile I called my Mom and asked her for help....(She is not an expert either....Love you though Mom) BUT she knew more than I did....

With her help we figured out the best needle and thread when it comes to sewing on paper....Here are the essentials I use:

My sewing machine was bought at Target it is a Shark



The thread I use is Embroidery Rayon thread. I buy mine at JoAnn's



The needle I use is for denim and heavy fabrics



If I'm sewing paper to paper I will use adhesive on the piece of paper I'm trying to attach before I sew it on....If I'm attaching fabric to paper I do not use adhesive....

Chere had some questions:
I love the look of sewing on lay-outs, but.......? The last one that had hand stitching look okay. How do you get your stitches even. I even took a pencil and drew them on, then premade the holes. My stitches were still not even. Help???


Chere I'm assuming you're talking about hand stitching....I have tried that once but that was before the nifty stitching templates by Bazzill were available....Bazzill also came out with the floss and needles in different colors....I have heard that the Bazzill products do make the hand stitching easier....You can check out those products here.
All of the stitching I do is with a machine and it comes out pretty straight....Sometimes I like it messy LOL!!!!
I created the layout below for Creative Therapy this week and underneath the stitched journaling strips I sewed some Amy Butler fabric tags onto the cardstock....



If you have any questions you would like for me to try and answer just leave me a little note and I'll do the best I can....I'm definitely not an expert.... ;-)

Tomorrow is Jon's birthday



my Mom is picking up the girls early from school so they can bake him a special cake....My Mom makes a cake that is Jon's favorite....Then, we will be going out to dinner to celebrate so I will be missing out on Paperclipping but I will be back on Wednesday with a project I designed for scrapbook.com....An easy peasy St. Patrick's Day project you can do with the whole family....

I hope everyone has a great Tuesday!!!!
Hugs....
D.

5 comments:

Lisa T. Howard said...

Hi Dedra! Love your Creative Therapy layout! I have been mostly hand stitching on my pages but recently pulled out my machine. Still trying to find a place to set it up in my scrap room. I can truly appreciate your apprehension when it came to tackling the machine for the first time. It brought back memories of my first machine...that was quite a few years ago. I did make a few sun dresses but my "claim to fame" was doll clothes for my daughter's Cabbage Patch baby...lol! Happy Tuesday!

Amy Coon said...

Dedra

Great layout also I have to know because I am laughing so hard right now did you take "cheat notes" actually on your machine ? If so you need to do a layout on that one its to funny!

Kim Strother said...

Hi Dedra- I do have questions for you!! Have you tried to sew on anything else, like acrylic or chipboard, and if so do you use the same needle?? And how many different stiches does your sewing machine have and how much did it cost???

And on a different note, congrats to your giveaway winners. Will you please post your layout from last weeks paperclipping!!!

Thank you for all the info!!

Suz said...

I love the CT layout. Did you write on your machine? lol

I love the way you make a stitched line under your journaling - that is a wonderful touch.

Chere said...

Love the idea of posting notes on the machine. I still have to pull out the book. I am a little slow or maybe it's a blonde thing. LOL!