Friday, March 20, 2009

The first day of Spring....

is upon us....It is the perfect weather here in Arizona....The temperature is wonderful and we don't have to turn on our air conditioning yet....The only bummer is Spring does not last long enough here....It seems to go from bearable to flaming hot within weeks....
I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can before I go into hibernation mode for the Summer....LOL!

Three rooms in our house this past weekend were disasters, but good creative messes are the best!!!!
My Mom even came over to indulge in my crazy egg experiments with me....I LOVED that she was here with me and was willing to do anything I asked....I think she was curious about my plans for these eggs and wanted to see first hand how all of this was going to happen....

When I was brainstorming Easter ideas for Scrapbook.com I was thinking about how to alter eggs with scrapbooking supplies but also how to appeal to some of the different styles we have....
All of the Easter projects I designed are Home Decor and there are two other things I will share next week....Today I wanted to focus on the Easter eggs and the Easter grass....

This is how the eggs looked before I started my experimentation's....



The eggs are wooden and I bought them from JoAnn's, they were $3.99 for a bag of 5....Jon spayed painted them white and after they were dry my Mom sanded them to give them a smooth surface....

I created three sets of eggs using Alcohol Inks, Glimmer Mist and Glitter....

The first set I used Tim Holtz new "Brights" alcohol inks....The set I used was Dockside Picnic and can be found here.....A little side note: when I buy alcohol inks I put half of the bottle in a mini spray bottle....you can find those here.....Putting the alcohol ink in the misters helps for the next step of the process....
I put a Heidi Swapp mini flower mask on the egg and then sprayed the alcohol ink....What I loved about the alcohol inks is they dry so quickly....Once the eggs were dry I added some Doodlebug crystals to the center of the flower to finish them off....Easy Peasy right!



For the next set of eggs I used Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels....You can find them here.....There are SO many vibrant colors....
The trick when using these on eggs is to shake the bottle really well, untwist the cap and pour the contents into a cup....Drop the eggs into the cup and color them the same way you would normally color an Easter egg....The longer you keep the egg in the cup the deeper the color will be on the egg....What I loved about how these turned out is the way the eggs have a "glimmered" finish....Once I was done with the eggs I just poured the Glimmer Mist back into the bottle....It looks like I hardly used any of it....On one egg I added a Making Memories looking glass sticker and on the other two eggs I added the Making Memories butterflies....



The last set of eggs I covered them in glitter....The trick to covering them in glitter was the cup....I poured the glitter in the cup, I applied glue to the eggs with a brush and then dropped the egg into the glitter.....I used a spoon to move the glitter around the egg....You can find wonderful vibrant glitter colors here....Once I was done with the glitter I just poured it back into the container....The great thing about the glitter is it really does go a long way....So, if you have church groups or kid projects you need to do the glitter will last you....





Now, I love Easter grass....and once you see the Easter grass bags at the store it is a sure sign of Spring....I love seeing all of the pastel and bright colors it comes in....BUT this year I wanted to do something homemade and simple....As scrapbookers, artist's, cardmakers we all have some on hand....
Paper.....Solid, patterned or both....Whatever strikes your fancy....
I cut various papers into strips....I didn't measure or anything I just used my trimmer and went for it....Some strips are wider than others....After the cutting was complete I wrapped each strip around a pencil and voila! Easter Grass....



To display the Easter Eggs I used various glass jars....I put the Easter Grass in and the eggs on top....



The great thing about Home Decor is you can store it for next year and add to it year after year....So, this is my starting point and I will create decorations yearly....

I will be back this weekend to answer and/or point out some of my favorite comments you all left!!!!
Early next week I will be sharing the remaining Home Decor I created this year for Easter and I also came up with a way to leave your decorations up longer after Easter is over....Think Velcro!!!!

Hugs....
D.

4 comments:

Kathy Floen said...

D-

LOVE IT! :) Will you be watching Paperclipping this tues? I may have to run out and get some of those eggs! :)

Hugs-
Kathy

Tiffany said...

Oh, I love it. I have to get some jars or something to do that with. What great ideas!!! Keep them coming!!!

Penny said...

I love the eggs, wonderful ideas, all 3 of them, thanks for sharing. Glad you had fun with your mom.

Suz said...

What great home dec projects for Easter. I really love the way the bright Tim Holtz eggs turned out. fantastic!

It's always fun to have someone else to create with & moms are the best