Thursday, July 17, 2008

Yes....

you ladies are so smart....That in fact is a frame from Hobby Lobby....and to be honest I look for the most unusual but timeless pieces to put on front of an album....Another truth is that I absolutely LOVE designing album covers....
It seems the most complicated thing I come across is when I find or think of using a piece on the front of an album but I have NO idea how I would attach it to the cover....



Hence the trail and error process I go through, for example the first frame I wanted to use on an album was about 8 months ago (see picture below) and I thought the only way to attach this frame was with screws....Well....it worked but the screws went through the chipboard cover....So, it wasn't very functional for what I was trying to accomplish....

So, when they finally opened a Hobby Lobby here in AZ (My mom and I would shop at Hobby Lobby when we lived in Texas)
I HAD to go....There I spotted these frames and they were SCREAMING my name....AND how could you pass up these beauties at 50% off....They came home with me needless to say....

The next challenge was finding something to use other than screws....Since this book will be traveling across country and used by some great ladies I wanted to make sure that the adhesive I chose would have some flexibility to it...So the frame would be able to adjust to movement without damaging the chipboard cover....Now there are MANY adhesives on the market....
E6000 I have used and I know that it would be able to hold the heavy frame onto the book but I wasn't sure of it's ability to "give" when needed....
Diamond Glaze, I LOVE this adhesive and use it on most if not all of my projects and layouts, very versatile....but not sure it would be able to hold the frame completely and the "movement" was an issue....

It was quite a dilemma for a couple of days and then I asked Jon about adhesives and what I was trying to accomplish, what I needed to happen and my concept of the book....and "whola" he began to tell me about Silicone....
Jon and I have used Silicone around the house but I had NO idea it was an adhesive too....This will also "give" into movement a little so I don't have to worry about the book being damaged in shipping or anything like that....
I did have to let the frame and book dry overnight, but as heavy as the frame is it will not come off....



Ok....now that I'm rambling and if you have made it this far...."Thank you"....

I will leave you with some photos of my disastrous studio....I have had some projects going on and even Lucy has resorted to sitting on the table and looking out the window....







I hope you all have a great Friday!!!!
Hugs...
Dedra...

5 comments:

Eileen said...

That's so cool, Dedra! I love seeing your studio like that...it looks like it's much loved and to my eye....it's still very beautiful.

Thank you for the explaination about the frame. What a great journal. You're awesome!

Barb said...

Dedra, love your romm! Thanks for sharing! You know, not only are you talented...but look at Lucy! It takes talent to find THE BEST place to look out the window and watch the world go by!! I'm jealous!

2H Design said...

Thanks for sharing about the covers and liquid nails... may have to give something like that a try!

Cute kitty picture!

ricanlaw said...

I love everything, nuff said.

Suz said...

You are SO CREATIVE love the circle journal! It was great talking to you today - you're such an encouragement to me.

Like the new look of your blog. I know your "stuff" will sell where ever you end up putting it.

Hugs, Suz