Thursday, December 14, 2006

At this time 4 years ago....


I remember exactly what I was doing....Jon, Shelby and I were getting ready to go to a Christmas party at a clients house in Green Acres...We arrived around 8:00, 8:30...Jon showed the lighting system he has installed and we began to mingle while Shelby played in the backyard with the other children at the party....Not to long after we arrived I remember "hunting" for a good chair...I was VERY pregnant with Ellie and she was due to arrive any day....
Some of the women at the party felt bad for me sensing how uncomfortable I was and my ankles were HUGE...
After leaving the party we decided to go to IHOP for a late dinner....Barely having an inch between where my belly ended and the table began...That would be our last meal as a family of three...
I woke up around 7:00 am and got out of bed as fast as a woman that is nine months pregnant could...I woke Jon and told him that my water had just broke...Now, I don't know if it was the very first thing he said or not, But....I distinctly remember him saying "Thanks Honey for letting me get a good full nights sleep"...I can't remember what the response was but I know I got into the shower, knowing it would be my last for awhile, while Jon woke Shelby letting her know she needed to dressed....

We got to the hospital and my water was still coming...The nurse said I had a slow leak...NICE...They went ahead and put us in a nice BIG room...Mom and Bob came and my best friend Raine was there...Everyone hung out...This was not my first rodeo and I requested an ephidual (I know I spelled that wrong)...no problem getting through that....Smooth sailing until I needed oxygen...I remember telling Jon, as he had a Starbuck's in his hand, that I needed to push and to get a nurse and the doctor....

Well, the doctor had gone with his family to a nearby mall...Tis' the season...The nurse told me to hold on and not to push as long as I could....Man, it felt like years before the doctor got there, because I told the nurse I could not stop the urge to push any longer....

Jon and the doctor are standing at my feet and the doctor tells Jon that he is going to deliver Ellie....Now, even with everything going on I thought how awesome is that....Jon will be the first one to touch Ellie...The doctor hands Jon some booties that went all the way up each leg...I recall laughing when Jon asked the doctor if this was going to get messy....
At that point I felt like I was going to burst...I started my breathing and pushing for the 10 second intervals....Meanwhile, the doctor is instructing Jon on how is going to "catch" and hold Ellie's head once she is at that point....
Jon was scared he was going to hurt her somehow, the doctor kept reassuring Jon that it would be fine and he would hold the outside of Jon's hands....
Well, needless to say, Ellie's arrival was awesome and Jon delivered her perfectly at 3:40 pm on December 15, 2002....
I will never forget Jon's face and the tears in his eyes as he held our daughter and handed her to me....His hands were the first to touch Ellie as she began her life....She was and is perfect and we are thankful everyday for her....
We love you sweetie....ALWAYS, no matter what....

No comments: