Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Battle of the Books....

Round one was this morning and I have to say that my little girl has blossomed into a smart young lady...I'm so happy that Shelby loves to read, just as I did when I was her age...Battle of the books is a school event that happens throughout the year...The students that want to participate read 4 books per battle...They are given a list at the beginning of the year letting them know which books they will be reading...There are 3 students per team and the students that want to participate pick their own teams...
With this being Shelby's first year at Higley I did not know if this was something that she would want to do, but on the other hand she loves reading and making new friends...so, she made the decision to do it and Mursall and Ali are the two young ladies on her team...For Battle one the girls had to read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien, Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech, Danger in the Desert by T.S. Fields and Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr...
The girls did great and only missed two questions...

As I sat watching Shelby I felt so proud of her and how well she is doing...Honor Roll, making great new friends, I love going to her parent teacher conferences because Mrs. Johnson loves her....All of the teachers that she has ever had tell me how helpful, intellegent and easy going she is...She is truely an amazing child...
Don't get me wrong she has her moments but I could not have asked for a more wonderful child...I'm so proud to be her Mom...
So, one battle down two to go...
The next battle the girls have to read The Borrowers by Mary Norton, The Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars, Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis and Bridge to Terabithia...
Love you Shelbs...

No comments: