Wednesday, April 12, 2006

American spirit...

On the NBC nightly news the flight 93 tapes were released...while the tapes were being recited tears came to my eyes and I thought about the bravery that was on that flight...In the court room there was an animation of the flights last moments...seeing that plane voilently rock back and forth, roll, turn upside down and plunge straight down...the terror these brave passengers must have experienced...

While looking at this animation my eyes welled with tears with the thought of myself experiencing the true last moments of my life and knowing that I was going to die...

Your life flashing before your eyes or not even having a moment to consiously think about any one thing...did the passengers have time to realize they had just saved the White House from it's only terrorist attack...knowing they were saving lives of those on the ground...that they were heroes...my heart and thoughts go to their families...this is a TRUE testiment that the American Spirit CANNOT and WILL NOT be broken in the face of pure evil...

I remember that morning myself, like it was yesterday...Jon and I both worked at Avnet...with the time difference Michael called from the East Coast and told Jon to turn the news on...that the World Trade Centers were under attack...I remember telling Jon, is he kidding?...Turning on the news was horrifying...one plane had hit the trade center at that point...I still was in the middle of getting ready for work but had a HARD time pulling myself from the images on TV...while dropping off Shelby at school, the radio stations were covering the news of the first plane...by the time I got to work I was running for the Cafe and the TV...I was in utter shock as I saw the towers ingulfed in flames...Jon and I were both watching...I had the radio station on at my desk...

The many thousands of lives that were changed on that day...the sorrow of the entire nation...

I remember there being a nuclear power plant scare here in Arizona...less than 50 miles away is the biggest power plant on the West Coast...the news telling everyone to have a plan with your spouse regarding each other and your children...who would pick them up, where the family would meet if there was a disaster...sheer panic...

The movie is now being advertised on TV....Flight 93 rated R and will be released April 23rd...
may we continue to protect our country from terror....

1 comment:

Tawnja said...

How strange that I found your blog today. I was watching Et, and they were talking about the release of the movie. They showed snippets of the movie and I began to tear up as well. My oldest son asked me if that was real. I aske him if he recalls the planes flying into the building and explained that it was the "bad people" from the same group. He asked if people died when the plane crashed, I had to tell him yes. That was when I got all choked up and had to leave the room.