Sunday, March 19, 2006

Black & White...


So, a little behind with the Studio Friday post...the challenge was simply Black & White...
When I think of black and white these photos immediately came to mind...I can't remember who my Mom got these from and I'm sure she told me...I love them...It is really the only thing that links me to my grandfather and his family...

My great grandparents and there is even a couple of pictures that have my great-great grandparents in them...
Such a lost part of my heritage...I never really knew my grandfather...I remember faintly his farm in Anna, Texas...he had a pond with snapping turtles in it...a trampoline that I recall jumping on...he also had many peacocks...

There is a picture of just my great Aunt Omega and I believe that is where Shelby gets her thick (I mean thick) curly hair...
My great grandfather also had the same hair type judging by the pictures...
I wish I could have known my grandfather in depth...the stories of his life...

In 2004, my mom, the girls and I took a trip to Texas...while we were there I was able to see the gravesite of my grandfather and his family...all of his brothers, sisters and Rena his mother (my great grandmother)...
It makes you think about when people pass away...do you rejoin your family members that have passed before you?

In my life I have had these types of losses...not knowing my grandfather, my father including all of his family...
Sometimes it can be a little overwhelming for me to think about...how could my life had been different in knowing them...

It makes me appreciate and be truly grateful for Jon and our girls...celebrating the moments that make our lives...
I want my girls to know as many things about our family as possible...
I have grown up with pieces of myself missing...but I must break this cycle...
Jon and the girls complete my life...

No comments: